Video code for Insight?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 15:43:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 08:22:14AM -0500, Paul Frields wrote:
> http://camendesign.com/code/video_for_everybody
>
> This page ("Video for Everybody") has an interesting approach to a
> one-size-fits-all page for video that we should consider for Fedora
> Insight. Maybe Simon knows if it would be possible to use this inside
> some sort of template for video download pages?
>
> Note that this approach does place Ogg Theora as first choice, but
> provides graceful fallbacks for other platforms as needed. If Fedora
> Insight is to serve as a marketing tool for Fedora, we need to be able
> to reach people who aren't already able to see Ogg Theora as well.

How do we handle that?  Do we need to get a license from the patent
holders to use patented codecs via fedoraproject.org?

We might be better off if our graceful fallback were to just load the
Flash from YouTube/Vimeo/etc.  Store our non-free codec versions in
Someone Else's Problem.

- Karsten
uri:                  http://quaid.fedorapeople.org