Insight meeting reminder -- 2010-02-03 UTC 1900

Andrea Veri av at gnome.org
Fri Feb 4 16:54:31 UTC 2011

Il giorno 04/feb/2011, alle ore 15.16, Paul W. Frields ha scritto:

> Thanks Andrea.  I would like to see us offering more useful service
> through this Drupal CMS to the project as a whole.  A project-wide
> calendar would be a very helpful addition.  However, there was at
> least one recent calendar system recently put into testing already --
> Zarafa, stood up by the Infrastructure team.  Therefore we shouldn't
> be independently adding this (or other functions) to Insight without
> consulting with other people who might have worked, or be working, on
> such a system.

I was having a talk with ricky about this around a week ago and he told
me that the big problem having more stuff under infra is them being
unmaintained after a while. (that's the case of transifex for example)

Therefore he suggested me to keep such tool in a team where it will be
maintained and updated and won't be left behind. (that is why I decided
to take care of having it packaged and maintained under Insight)

I'm CCing ricky so he can confirm and give his opinion about this.

> Beyond all that, until we get to a production state with the functions
> we've already planned, I'm not in favor of extending ourselves even
> further.  Adding a calendar to Drupal is a fairly simple operation.
> Configuring it to a set of project requirements so it can be used by
> everyone is less simple, but still manageable.  Installation and
> configuration, though, are the smaller part of our responsibilities.
> This system by definition isn't a "set and forget" operation.  We are
> all going to be responsible for its maintenance for the foreseeable
> future.  So it behooves us to be thoughtful about what we take on.

I agree with you here. As said I'll try to give my best to keep such tool
updated and maintained with everyone's help into the Insight Team.
I will just wait your ack to start and then move on to discuss the relevant
details about how to integrate it into the whole Fedora project.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea