Someone's missing the point...it's us.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 13:56:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:39 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> Mr. Frye calls me out.  Well done, sir.
>
> OK, so.  What is Fedora?
>
> Many separate projects with different, but complementary goals.  At the
> center: Fedora Core, a quick-moving, completely open, multipurpose OS.
>
> What is Fedora's Goal?
>
> To make quality free software available to everyone in the world who wants
> it.
>
> Build from there.  :)

I was worried my earlier comments were irrelevant, but now I see they
actually make (some) sense.  "Everyone in the world" (!= "Every
experienced Linux user in the world") therefore needs to see more
general-purpose information at the start of the tour to increase
willingness to spend time using, and hopefully contributing to, Fedora.
Project information for current contributors easily accessible, but
marketing front and center.

I hear people talking about "Wiki everywhere," about which I have minor
trepidation, mainly due to the inability of some incredibly competent
technical people to write well.  As long as general audiences see a
polished face on the "landing ramp" or other entry point, and get their
"what? why? how?" questions answered without a lot of link hopping, I'm
satisfied (for whatever that's worth).  The Docs team should stand ready
to help Marketing with this to whatever extent necessary or desired.