the name "fedora"

Thilo Pfennig tp at alternativ.net
Sat Jul 2 21:38:37 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 02.07.2005, 11:09 -0400 schrieb seth vidal:

> In english, which is the language of the majority of the mailing lists
> and communication about the distribution there is no such thing as
> gender being applied to words. So how about we keep it that way.

Ah, but you do have names for women and for men? I did not say that
Fedora is feminin in english. I just ment, that from some of the roots
of the word one could deduce such thing. And I don't think we should
concentrate on the english language. Linux is wide spread. Soon there
might be billions of chinese that use english. It might ebven be helpful
to be careful that a name does not sound similar to something stupid or
offending in another language. I guess Red Hat might have investigated a
bit before choosing the name "Fedora"?

> You make it more accessible to everyone by making involvement and
> contribution easier for everyone, regardless of gender.

No, it is important to make involvment and contribution easier, but that
does not make a distribution more accessible. Attractiveness comes from
good software and good usability. But I aggree that both things are
important and can looked at seperated.

Thilo
--
this content is licensed under a Creative Commons license:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/de/