Turning off Paid Adverts for Sponsored Media

Michael J Knox michael at knox.net.nz
Wed May 3 01:15:55 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 08:31 +1200, Michael J. Knox wrote:
>> Stephen Krenzel wrote:
>>>     I agree, but no one is going to give any money as long as Fedora is
>>> perceived to be backed by Red Hat. I have to admit, Fedora *is* Red
>>> Hat's baby, just as Ubuntu is Shuttleworth's baby, and OpenSuse is
>>> Novell's baby. I don't think that a lot of people would donate to any of
>>> these projects, except for a few exceptions. If OpenSuse started asking
>>> for money, people would laugh, a similar outcome would result with
>>> Fedora as well. I'm not sure what kind of resources it would take, but
>>> getting Red Hat or some other organization to donate a chunk of cash to
>>> Fedora so that we could give away free CDs ( similar to Ubuntu ) is the
>>> only way I really see any of these media plans working. Ubuntu set the
>>> "media distribution" bar high, and we aren't anywhere near it right now.
>>> I don't think it is reasonable, nor wise, to ask someone to sit on a
>>> waiting list, especially when they can just go to a different
>>> distribution's site and be guaranteed a cd in a relatively short period
>>> of time. We simply are not being competitive enough in this aspect of
>>> marketing Fedora. This is not to put down the efforts that Fedora has
>>> made thus far, but until someone finds a way to allow free CDs (or a
>>> dvd) to be distributed for free upon request, our efforts will be
>>> compared to Ubuntu's and claimed to be second rate at best.
>>> -Steve
>> [snipped]
>>
>> Might a naive question, but why doesn't RedHat offer some backing to
>> this effort then?
>>
>> Michael
>
> Shipping media internationally is very cost ineffective. The funds are
> better put into improving important Free software projects.

I don't doubt that for a second. Nor was I suggesting RH foot the entire
bill.

Myself, I am more than happy suppling New Zealand any media requests.

However, Could RH not assist, even for local (as in US) media requests?
Then that can relieve the burden of US request and allow the continual
search for other sponsors to assist with other global regions?

Michael