How to compete against Ubuntu

rstaaf at bellsouth.net rstaaf at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 2 18:34:18 UTC 2007

> From: "Markus McLaughlin" <hudsonman35 at gmail.com>

> How to take on Ubuntu - Idea #1
>
> If each of us chip in on a small AD in the New York Times, The Boston Globe,
> and The Washington Post, with the Line : "What can Fedora do for you?
> http://fedoraproject.org" in blue bryant2 font lettering, more and more
> regular folks and frustrated Windoze Users will go there and find out how to
> download it.  Also, where to purchase a Live CD or Installation DVD is also
> posted.  It is very important to get MORE exposure so Ubuntu will want to
> compete on that level too.  Save Our Fedora From Ubuntu!!!
>
> Mark McLaughlin - linuxglobe.wordpress.com

Huh???  Why do we need to "take on Ubuntu"???  Linux is Linux and what is good for Ubuntu is good for Fedora and other distros.

Fedora and Ubuntu are not even targeted at the same users.  Ubuntu is going after the new Linux user with little or no Linux experience while Fedora is targeted towards developers, enthusiasts, the more experienced user.  That is not to say a beginner could not pick it up but, why make things harder on a newbie by encouraging them to try and advanced distro?  Frankly I don't want to see Ubuntu users here until they have are pretty comfortable with Ubuntu first.  I think Fedora loses more potential users that try it and wind up frustrated because they lack the experience to deal with the issues that come up with a bleeding edge distro.

If you don't believe me here is an FAQ from RedHat regarding their target user for Fedora...

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_61_1139.shtm

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open source project geared toward developers and highly technical enthusiasts using Linux in non-critical environments. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products and the open source code base. The goal of the Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from free software."