Fedora's mid-life crisis -- YUM v. APT v. SmartPM

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 6 10:36:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 00:22 -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> That's why I posted that e-mail... I was merely focusing on the two
> "main" package managers for the two main community centric distributions
> (Debian and Fedora)... Didn't think of the "gray area" right away.

First off, I don't know what you mean by "gray area."  SmartPM was
basically started by the guys behind Apt-RPM because of various
deficiencies in resolution, lack of a standard GUI in package managers,
and in the hope for some

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 09:22 +0200, Igor Jagec wrote:
> There was an serious issue about SmartPM, but it seems to be solved.
> http://tracker.labix.org/issue268

Secondly, I was *NOT* saying Smart was "better."  I was merely saying,
"why not SmartPM then?"  I often like to answer a
question/recommendation with another question.  E.g., I did this with
people who were critical of LPI on testing Sendmail when they started
saying, "why not Exim?" by saying "why not Postfix then?"

I hear so many people saying "Apt-RPM! Apt-RPM! I love Synaptic!" not
realizing there are some serious considerations and issues with
integration into Anaconda and other Python-based components (including
the fact that the legacy up2date RHN facility was to be replaced).

Smart is at least based on Python, and has some related
facilities/compatibilities.  Furthermore, Smart's GTK+ GUI is almost a
rip of Synaptic.  I'm not going to lie and say it's "the best of both
words," but I wish some Apt-RPM/Synaptic fanboys would stop and realize
it might be a better option for Anaconda-Python centric Fedora.

> Use bugzilla. A rant here doesn't change anything. The Apt page already
> explains the choice of Yum in detail. Repository management has been
> discussed in fedora-devel if you want to know the details.

Unfortunately people don't realize those real, real design and decision
constraints.  They don't realize how much boils down to the amount of
existing Anaconda focus and the RHN requirements.

Again, I wasn't saying Smart was "better," I was merely asking the
Apt-RPM fanboys why they continue to ignore Smart (let alone the other
considerations).

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com