four f's iconography

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:35:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 21:15 -0400, Russell Harrison wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Jonathan Roberts
> <jonrob at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > Mostly, I guess. Tbh, I don't have much of a clue about these things, just
> > my gut feeling! The only thing that still concerns me is that as a
> > particular campaign, the feel of the four fs is a little too similar to that
> > of f-i-v. Most campaigns integrate the existing brand into their new
> > message, using well known logos coupled with new material. Wish I could come
> > up with some examples...
>
> I think we should be able to do this.  For instance the voice bubble
> could be featured quite prominently in both the freedom and friends
> concepts.  Infinity plays into both features and firsts, and freedom
> is the obvious transition.  I don't necessarily see the new themes as
> a replacement for the old logo concepts but more as a way to bring
> those abstract ideals into a message that's easier to identify with.
> The "old" slogans are kind of ivory tower (or hippie depending on your
> viewpoint) like where as the new slogans more directly map to actions
> and benefits for contributors and users.  Where ever possible I'd like
> to try and reference the values when talking about any of our
> achievements.  Say when we do a feature related to the creative
> commons we can talk about how this new Feature (direct benefit to the
> user) will aid artist in creating infinite combinations of content...
> and their voice heard... you get the idea.

I think all the icons lend themselves to including the Fedora infinity
bubble logo except for (possibly) the gears.  The gears could probably
have a logo stamped on them, but it might obscure the fact that they're
gears, since you expect gears to have a hole in the center where an axle
fits.  If the features were a butler with a covered dish, the dish's
cover could have a Fedora logo on it, or the butler could be lifting the
cover to reveal a logo on the platter underneath.

--
Paul W. Frields