Policy RFC: Dealing with Media (and no I don't mean CD/DVDs)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:32:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 22:58 -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> Larry Cafiero has put a draft of dealing with the media up on the wiki:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/NA/Draft/NewsMedia_HowTo
>

> That brought up the point of what's the policy for our dealing with the press.
> Quaid pointed out that @redhat types have some limits due to SEC and
> similar regulations regarding making press statements that may alter
> stock price.
>
> However there doesn't appear to  be a polcy for @fp.o types.
>
> Quaid submitted the following: "You do the right thing and publicize
> you see fit; represent the project well; on Big Things , coordinate
> with Marketing."
>
> I believe that is a good basis for beginning a policy. Please discuss,
> comment, flame, argue, and lets get something ready to present to the
> Fedora Board so they put their blessing on it.

I put some thoughts out in response to an earlier thread here:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-marketing-list/2008-August/msg00151.html

Here are the needs I think we should balance:

* Ambassadors need to feel they have the ability to represent the Fedora
Project effectively. In some cases that includes local media, whether
they're included proactively or just because they happen to be present
at events.

* The project as a whole needs to have its message relayed clearly and
without muddling by the people who represent it.

* The Ambassadors and Marketing groups, among others, need to be able to
review how these efforts are going so we can help Project contributors
who need it, and identify and recognize those who do well.

* We all need to respect the fact that we each represent the Project
every day, whether it's by posting on mailing lists, chatting on IRC, or
emailing friends and colleagues about Fedora matters.  In some sense
everything we do is a media contact, and over-regulating those exchanges
isn't the best way to encourage the openness, transparency, and
responsibility we demand of each other.

--
Paul W. Frields