The Face of Fedora Video Campaign

Colby Hoke choke at redhat.com
Fri Dec 19 17:05:40 UTC 2008

Jack Aboutboul wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> A number of times already we have discussed the development of a video
> series highlighting the members of our community.  The idea was
> suggested multiple times by multiple different people, each one with
> their own twist.  Now that the release is done, and FUDCon is coming
> up, I think we should discuss this in earnest.  It could work out
> really well if we solidified plans in the next couple of weeks because
> then we can take advantage the 120 plus attendees at FUDCon for
> taping.  I already understand that these types of activities will be
> taking place regardless, so might as well jump on the bandwagon.
>
> I think we need to focus on 3 areas:
>
> 1. Concept: We have had 3-4 different suggestions on how this should
> be framed and maybe its time to solidify the idea. What do we end up
> naming it? Do we want to professionally produce it, or have user
> submitted videos?  Will we follow a general guideline for such videos
> or will it be freeform?  This will help people who end up
> shooting/editing/aggregating video have a clear definition of what
> needs to be filmed and how it needs to be edited.
>
> 2. Content:  What do we want to have the people in the video, doing or
> saying.  What is the message?
>
> 3. Presentation: What is the Visual Motif?
>
> For now, I have added it to the task list and have set up a wiki page
> here https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Face_of_Fedora and
> seeded it with some content.  Please feel free to add to it.
>
> Hopefully we can discuss this at the meeting tomorrow as well.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. Colby, I would really like your thoughts on this too, from a
> video professionals standpoint.

I really feel like... the less "professional" it looks, possibly the
better. That's not to say that it can't be polished, but I feel like a
handheld camera and simple jump cuts back and forth between the people
is the way to go. It fits in much more with the brand that Fedora has of
a community. I usually find that when you try to do pieces about lots of
people and you get too fancy with the camera work/ editing, it comes
across as strained.

We just want real people, in real settings, being themselves and have
that as a document for others- like Máirín said, the fun factor of "oh
that what that person looks like!" is extremely powerful.

I'd be happy to give tips to those who may be shooting the videos around
the world if anyone has questions about cameras/ lighting/ framing, etc.

Unfortunately, as Nico has pointed out, there is some trouble with the
tools, which is why simple is better. PiTiVi may be able to do it - I
haven't played with it since early F9. Kino should be able to handle
this, you just need to make sure you have a .dv file type (dv stream)
which is what you get via firewire and its import feature (which uses
dvgrab, if i'm not mistaken). I believe it works with ogg equally well.

If it comes down to the point where the tools aren't working for whoever
ends up editing this, I'm more than willing to take a shot at it and
make it a project for work. (Though, from and by the community feels
more powerful and, while I am part of this community, all of you do so
much more than me) Either way, I'm always here for the Fedora folk.

--
Colby Alexander Hoke

Brand Communications + Design
[ Producer ]