Picture book....

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jan 19 15:43:56 UTC 2009

Ian Weller wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:19:01AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> The most important requirement from a technical point of view is to have
>> the images big enough, so depending on the paper size we may want to
>> resuest something like at least 4 or 5 Megapixels (multiply the page
>> size in inches with 300 DPI and we get the minimum resolution needed in
>> pixels).
>>
> I think to give us more freedom we'll want to ask for photos that could
> theoretically fill the entire page, but we might put more than one photo
> on a page (in some format... hmm) to break some things up and put room
> for text.

Probably if a camera can't take photos at at least 4 MB, probably it
can't take worthy photos anyway (i.e. the camera on my phone, or a
webcam). 4 MP is 2272 x 1704, si this is probably a safe minimum.

>> We can also talk about file formats and require  either RAW or JPEG with
>> a high quality, we have to accept JPEG as not all cameras are capable of
>> producing RAW, but a JPEG saved with a quality factor of 85 (with
>> visible JPEG artefacts) is unacceptable, so we may go with something
>> like at least 98.
>>
> Can we just ask people to place the quality settings on their camera to
> the highest possible?

I was thinking here more about post processing and saving from a graphic
editor.

> Right. How about we ask people to submit multiple shots?

IMO, we should ask people so submit as many shots as they can/want/have.

> I'm thinking I'm going to need to create a workflow of some sort for all
> of this...

With things to check: license, release forms, size, quality.

We can ask in a first stage only smaller previews for selection and only
for the selected images follow with release forms and big files.