An advisory board conversation that might be of interest

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 20:46:38 UTC 2009

Marketing folks - if you want a meditative breather from working on
release deliverables, there is a conversation on the f-a-b list that
might be of interest, in terms of thinking about the context of the big
picture that we work within.

The subject line is "What is the Fedora Project?" and it starts at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-October/msg00002.html.
It's quite long (109 messages as of this writing), so wrap up whatever
deliverables you're working on first (for me, it was a couple FUDCon
tickets) and then settle back with a cup of tea to read and have a good
think. After reading, if there are any insights that you'd like to
share, please share them on f-a-b so they become part of the main
conversation - I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say.
If you want to stay quiet and watch, listen, and learn, that's totally
fine as well (that's what I'm doing now). It's an amazing conversation,
and an ongoing, very-long-term thing, and there's much to think about in
terms of how we want to lead and shape our own work in the here and now.

I also wanted to call out a specific question from John that seemed
relevant to the discussions we've been having on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_research lately:

"CALLING ANY EXPERTS OR INDUSTRY FOLKS: Are there any product marketing
or brand people out there that can suggest some good methodology or an
approach to defining a target audience that is more efficient than our
approach thus far?

IOW, what is the simplest way to define and explain our "target
audience" without creating a wiki page that is 15 paragraphs long and 25
questions to answer?" (from
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-October/msg00148.html)

So if folks here have some thoughts on that, that may be a particularly
useful thing to chime into the f-a-b discussion with.

Cheers,

--Mel