Fudcon North America 2011 -- bids opening!

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:05:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 09:06:46PM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> On 04/05/2010 08:50 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
> > Paul,
> >
> > Can this be done by people outside Ambassadors? Let's say that if I
> > wanted to organize a FUDcon for 2011... would I need to be an
> > Ambassador?
> >
> > That's the only question I have.
>
> There's no listed requirement that the planners have to be Ambassadors.
>
> I've actually never run an event booth as an Ambassador, and I helped
> with the last FUDCon. Prior FUDCon experience and prior event-running
> experience were things I found valuable for my own ability to help with
> the organization - but then again, those aren't listed requirements either.

Being an Ambassador is not a hard and fast requirement.  Much of the
work in planning a FUDCon has nothing to do with representing the
Fedora Project's values or mission.  It has much more to do with
organization and dealing with vendors.

Having said that, a good FUDCon would also attract and involve
Ambassadors in the region.  In fact, I wouldn't foresee a FUDCon being
successful without any Ambassador involvement at all.  By the way, I
don't think Nelson was suggesting that!  Having a bigger planning team
naturally makes the work more efficient, of course.

If you were looking to bid for a FUDCon for 2011, you simply respond
to the opening of bids for your region.  For the Europe/Middle
East/Africa (EMEA) region, this is due to happen around the fall of
2010.