Fedora and Video Sharing

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sat Apr 10 18:25:38 UTC 2010

On Sat 10 April 2010 9:17:43 am Nelson Marques wrote:

> > Using your arguments in a little bit of exaggerated way would lead
for
> > example to using Adobe Illustrator for artwork, Photoshop for other
> > stuff  and would exclude those that don't have these tools ...
>
> That's not what I had in mind. There are some tools (in my field data
> mining and data analysis that if they were not present in Linux, I
> wouldn't be able to swap from whatever to Linux). The open source
> alternatives are not mature, and probably will never be mature. If we
> look at the "Cathedral and Bazaar", you will find that most Marketing
> professionals are not programmers, so that model applied to "PSPP" for
> example would never work. The maturity level between PSPP and IBM
> alternative SPSS is abyssal. (http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/VS
> http://www.spss.com).

And personally, this is the biggest problem which I see in Eric Raymond's
views. When it comes down to it, we're only hurting ourselves in the long
run to provide our content primarily on non-free distribution channels
primarily, with the "other" "non-user-friendly" distribution channels
being an afterthought as you seem to be implying.
I respect Eric Raymond occasionally, but this is simply irresponsible to
our community in the long term view. Our content should be available and
advertised in _free_ formats first and foremost with the non-free channels
to be "second class" citizens, rather than our freely available content.
This keeps people like me and countless others in Fedora who look at non-
free content as a detriment to our distribution, while also catering to
the mainstream.

> Using your examples, my GIMP knowledge is enough for dropping
> Photoshop... my Corel skills are a good reason for not using Inkscape.
> But that isn't a problem for me because I'm not an artist neither I
> produce artistic content, just some casual photo editing, color messing,
> cropping, etc.
>
> Considering the achievement of the last 10 years, and looking to the
> future in maybe a naive way, but I could say that eventually FOSS has
> everything to become industry mainstream... we're mainly lacking some
> market volume shares for it happen (and that won't happen based on
> Cathedral and Bazaar model).

Here's the big thing I see when applying the Cathedral and the Bazaar
"model" to this case: ESR wrote that with attracting _users_ to the
software. We, as Fedora marketing, are looking to attract contributors as
well. There comes a specific turning point where someone involved in our
distro as a user realizes that things like this are important and need to
be considered. We are marketing to those people as well, people who _will_
care about free content at the end of the day.

> Anyway, neither I've taken you by a radical, neither I want to sound
> like a radical. I'm trying to see if we can hit a wider audience and get
> more proffit (not revenue) out of it.

And IMO this can be done by providing our content as free first and
foremost, rather than as an afterthought. This is why I like Nick's
original proposal.
It's not despotism, but pragmatism.

> nelson.
Ryan