In the news: Zarafa

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Apr 20 19:43:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, David Nalley wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>> So, Zarafa is getting a lot of press attention:
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=6298
>>
>> some of it is fairly unflattering:
>>
>> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3877446/Fedora-13-Beta-The-Seen-and-Troubling-Unseen.htm
>>
>> I'm a bit uncomfortable with this myself; the availability of Zarafa in
>> Fedora seems to be being read in ways in which we certainly didn't
>> intend it (as an aspect of commercialization, as some kind of Red
>> Hat-parachuted feature and hence an indication of RH's future
>> directions, etc).
>>
>> I'm wondering if perhaps we should pull Zarafa's mention as a 'feature'
>> of Fedora 13, or if not that, then certainly develop a more coherent
>> story about its inclusion, what it's for, why it's in Fedora, and the
>> whole 'open core' angle on it...
>>
>> What do people think?
>
> First, I don't think we can pull it at this point (Streisand effect and
> all). Second, this (Zarafa's inclusion in Fedora) is a wonderful success
> story that I think we should use the opportunity to highlight that a
> community member (or two) worked to get this feature in the
> distribution. Even if we have to tell that story as a correction - it's
> still a powerful one, IMO. -- marketing mailing list
> marketing at lists.fedoraproject.org

ZAFARA: THREAT OR MENACE?

:)

As an editor of a publication myself, I know the power of an interesting
title.  If Bruce wants to allege that some of these changes are
"troubling", that's his right -- but let's not draw any more attention
than is due here.  Of the four commenters, three of them are us.

I think our defense is strong enough.  I'd say let things ride.

--g

--
Educational materials should be high-quality, collaborative, and free.
Visit http://opensource.com/education and join the conversation.