I had a cool Idea why don't we put on an artshow!

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Tue Feb 16 16:36:09 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 16:36 -0500, Justin O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 20:48 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:

> > > I didn't think about the Geo issue... My brain is US specific :/
> > >
> > > Maybe each interested Region could do one...
> > >
> > > The virtual gallery is a cool idea but I think it wouldn't attract the
> > > groups that we were wanting to attract...
> > >
> > > any thoughts?
> > >
> > > also I'll have to resend this to the design list becuase I wasn't subed
> > > and got denied :)
> > >

> >  Hi,
> >
> >  Though I'm new to the list, I would consider the following:
> >
> >  # Communication is important when addressing to international
> > communities or minorities. This is something that needs to be very well
> > thinken off.
> >
> >  # I've seen a survey link (not active though) on the fedora marketing
> > resources page. I would prioritize this, as information is power, and
> > having such tool would eventually help us. If we have a 10 million user
> > spec, we only need 1064 valid questionnaires to grant a 5% error.
> > Segmenting our targets would allow us to develop more attractive
> > communication.
> >
> >  # I would recon that if your objective is massification of Fedora
> > GNU/Linux, we aim exactly to the points where it does matter to end
> > users:
> >  - Ease of use
> >  - Productivity (Educational/Corporate targets)
> >  - Support
> >  - Eye Candy / Technology
> >
> >  There is no base on this suggestions (such as surveys or studies), but
> > I would eventually characterize those as some of the most important
> > things that newcomers and migrating users would value.
> >
> >  Nelson.
> > --
> Nelson:
>
> Those are all good points but how does that work into getting
> contributors to other areas of the Fedora Project?
>
> The plan with this art show was to show the art community that there was
> room for them in the project.  And then we can spread the
> knowledge/usage of Free Software tools and Free Culture Licensing to a
> group of people that arent really interested in programming or software
> in general.

Hi again,

 I am not the right person to speak in the name of artists, but we
should understand their needs and use them. But the answer is within
Fedora artists.

 I do understand that creating a community or expanding one is a time
and effort consuming activity.
 I would point to have people checking what the artists might be
interested, and from there we should work on something to offer them. I
don't believe that a gallery will be enough for the long run.
 I would point to following:

 Place > Provide a ground where people can share and interact with
artists. Not only a gallery, but tutorials also through video and other
appealing formats. We have great tools bundled with Fedora for
micro-blogging? Bring life to our community using micro-blogging.

 Promotion > Promote Fedora and Artists through adding their work to our
release. Remember that Fedora is a great distribution channel and one of
the top GNU/Linux distributions. This should be appealing for new
artists. Manage campaigns aimed to schools of art so they can
participate aswell. This has to be done at the highest level.

 I understand this is no easy task, as I've runned across with the same
on GNOME. There is a huge shortage of artists willing to participate.

 Well, the first thing would be contacting our Artists and check what we
can do to improve their community and how we can promote them. Maybe
then elaborate a strategy for a campaign.

 The depot/gallery is a good idea, but needs more substance. I shouldn't
use my current GNOME work as example, but in what I'm presenting to
GNOME related to the wildlife, I've contacted several institutions like
SOS Lynx (Save the Iberian Lynx), and they have been receptive to
provide high definition images, videos, etc. This are unique resources
for artists. I would consider since Fedora is also related to
Technology, that a contact could be established with media donators,
like NASA (they have lots of fun photos released under GPL) and other
institutions that can donate media.
 If we get an extense database of unique images, a set of management
tools to handle the community and some ways to promote it, this could be
indeed a great start to get more people.

 I need to take a deeper look into this. Meanwhile if someone can start
working on possible software we might use and on the availability of
people to develop a online plataform that meets the needs of our
currents artists, I believe we soon can start working on a communication
campaign for new artists.

 Nelson.