Question on Java apps

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 00:21:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 06:39:08PM -0500, David Nalley wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Paul W. Frields  wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Fedora_13_Talking_Points&diff=155754&oldid=155751
> >
> > Mark,
> >
> > Good question you posted on the Talking points draft page on the
> > Fedora wiki.  Unfortunately, we folks on the Marketing team are
> > writing these without specific domain knowledge about Java.  Can you
> > provide some edits here that will help us better cover this particular
> > talking point, and why it's good for developers, without promoting
> > non-free software?
> >

> So for reference the question posed is:
> Are technologies like glassfish/java 6 ee, javafx, etc. packaged for
> Fedora and actually Free Software?
>
> Glassfish is free software (GPL with classpath exception) - but I
> don't see it in Fedora repos.

I know that Java packaging is not trivial given the differences
between the way Java devs tend to do it, and the requirements set out
for Fedora packaging.

> Java 6 EE - well the text refers to the Java 6 EE spec, and what's
> left unsaid is that openJDK is what is meeting the spec. However most
> people assume that's java-1.6.0-sun when they see Java 6 EE.

How would you recommend restating this?  Can you edit that talking
point to make it so?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_Talking_Points#NetBeans_6.8_first_IDE_to_support_entire_Java_6_EE_spec

> JavaFX SDK appears to not be F/LOSS
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaFX#License)

Right, mjw was noting this as well.  I'm sending a copy of this email
to victorv who's listed as the netbeans maintainer, to get him to edit
this wiki page so that we are promoting only free software.