F13 (and onward) default bookmarks

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 00:59:28 UTC 2010

On 03/15/2010 02:49 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
>> Max, is there a better person to maintain this? I'm okay with co-owing
>> and helping out the new maintainer, but I probably shouldn't be the
>> primary owner.
>
> I assume that from a package ownership point of view, this is virtually
> trivial? Is there *anything* difficult about integrating this package
> into the rest of Firefox & the distro, or is it really basically the
> easiest package in all of Fedora to own, and could be taken off of your
> hands entirely, thus freeing you of this every-now-and-then ping?

It's got some work to it, but not much.  I created the package with ease
of packaging in mind.

Basically, to bump it, one would do the following:

* Add the bookmarks to your running Firefox
* Find the top level 'Bookmarks' menu, then click 'Organize Bookmarks'
* Click 'Import & Backup' > 'Export HTML'
* save the file
* To make legal happy, remove any ICON="..." occurrences in the file.  I
generally just gedit and manually remove them.
* Load the file in firefox (File > Open File) just to sanity check
* Overwrite default-bookmarks.html in the package directory
* Bump the spec file and add a changelog entry
* commit, tag, build

>> For the time being though, I can make the change if this is what
>> marketing's agreed on.
>
> I'd like to let people take a look at the proposal for F13 and ack it in
> the next Fedora Marketing meeting, then get the update done by either
> you or a new owner.

Sure.  Let me know.