[in the news]: Fedora bars SQLNinja hack tool

Jonathan Nalley jnalley at jnalley.com
Fri Nov 12 18:48:05 UTC 2010

This story has appeared in other outlets as well.

"The decision came during the same meeting that the board unanimously
decided to add a new statement to Fedora's legal guidelines concerning
the inclusion of hacking tools....Smith said the language is intended
to clarify its stance on a class of software that can be used both to
secure and penetrate protected networks.

“It's very much a gray area, and as a Board we wanted to ensure that
we were careful and deliberate about the kinds of tools we choose to
put in Fedora,” he explained.

For the record, Fedora already includes a host of other hacking tools,
including Jack John the Ripper, Ettercap, Dsniff, Yersinia, Nessus and
Nikto, to name a small few."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/11/fedora_hacker_tool_ban/