Fedora Depot/Mart? (Re: Why is there no Fedora Project Store?)

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 19:39:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Fabian A. Scherschel <fab at sixgun.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Harish Pillay <hpillay at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> * on the Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 06:16:02PM +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel was
>> commenting:
>> > On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Harish Pillay <hpillay at redhat.com>
>> > wrote:
>>
>> It is not trying to be cool or to mislabel anything. It is to clarify
>> and encourage self-discovery for users who would otherwise be saying
>> that "oh, this is Linux. it is difficult."
>
> You are misunderstanding me: In calling it a software STORE (or some
> derivative of it), you *are* mislabeling, if you want or not.
>
> "Add/Remove Software" is very clear. It does exactly what it says. Do you
> have any case studies of users being confused by that? I can't imagine
> *anybody* who wouldn't be clear about what that label means, to be honest...

Why not suggest to the Design and Desktop teams that they put a link
to PackageKit in the new GNOME3 dash by default, with the name "Get
More Software"? People looking to *remove* software likely already
know what the Add/Remove Software tool is for and where to find it.
People who don't know where to find ways to add software would find
that icon easily in the dash and understand a name like that.

There may be specific usability reasons or motivations for why such an
icon isn't good or useful. I'm not aware of them but that doesn't mean
they don't exist. But that seems like it would help get further toward
what Harish is talking about, without obscuring or possibly confusing
the nature of our free software community.

Paul