fedora-logo and fedora-themes discussions

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Apr 18 06:43:56 UTC 2011

On 04/16/2011 05:02 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> GNOME 3 is an ingredient in Fedora - not the other way around. I
> wouldn't expect that, if, for example, there was a GNOME 3 Remix of
> Fedora, that there would be any trace of Fedora branding anywhere.
> Fedora is the major ingredient in a Fedora Remix - but not the end
> product. Sadly, and I think mistakenly, the GNOME ingredient is
> theoretically no longer modifiable. I don't know that that prevents us
> from bringing in another ingredient to help us retain the Fedora flavor
> that we know and love.

I have bad news for you Robyn, the plan to change the ingredient-final
product roles is old, public and followed:
http://blogs.gnome.org/mccann/2010/08/01/shell-yes/

> Is trying to hack in a logo the right answer? Probably not. Is adding
> that logo into the corner going to really going to destroy the "user
> experience"? I can't say anything more than "probably not" to that
> either. Can we brainstorm, at this point in the release cycle, about
> some way that is more permanent than a browser start page, to keep logo
> and brand impressions on people, and then implement it without impacting
> the schedule? Probably not. Is a wallpaper, which changes from release
> to release and has no identifiable logo and changeable by the user, in
> combination with a browser direct to a start page that people see for a
> few seconds, assuming they don't change it, enough to keep our brand in
> people's minds? I don't know. Does the loss of a piece of real estate
> that constantly shows our logo diminish the value of our branding? I
> think so.

It may be the right answer a serious talk about what is the default
download we offer? For the sake of ease of use, we selected and promoted
a single download prominently on the website, and that was the Desktop
Spin, a spin that is under tight control of a small, opaque and out of
our infrastructure (mail, irc, bugzilla) group. We pretty much asked for it.