[In the news] Fedora and GNOME branding drama: Missing the big picture

Frankie Mangoa frankiemangoa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 07:37:33 UTC 2011

Hold on just one minute.
i think someone has something wrong here.
first of all it is important to notice that first impression is everything.

I wan us to look at it this way.
even though one never really looks at thei wall paper the first on
they get means a lot.
why do you think both windows and mac market so much to put their logo
or if not the logo something that the minset would immediately
register that this is an OSX machine or a windows one.
sorry not the macine but he OS is running on that machine.
gives a sense of belonging.
that is why even on the log in screen they try and make sure a normal
user can not change the appearance unless  you know your technical
stuff very wel.
it is the first impression.as much as one can argue that we should
work on geting users over linux and not focus on branding it is
important for us to realize that branding is something that will
affect us majorly whether we like it to or not.

I dont think we should work on personal basis of who moed to where and
then wat happen and this are the reasons why.
as far as I am concerned I appreciate people who exchange healthy
ideas( both positive and negative). by healthy here i mean that one
can see the way forward and how a particular problem can be solved.

branding is something that is very important and his just adds on
especially when one has a product that works just right.
it is that simple.
Both go hand in hand.
so if you ask me is branding important?
is it important to make sure you have a product that works?
is it also important that sers are able to say i got a machine that i
got this OS and this thing works like magic.?
I think all are good.
and considering there as soo many distros then one will just have to
know which specific one.

now that is what I call marketing that works for us even by people who
are not necessarily on the mailing list.

regards,

frankie