The Inquirier on F17

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu May 31 12:20:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 03:38:47PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 09:31 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> >On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"wrote:
> >>On 05/29/2012 03:15 PM, Karin Bakis wrote:
> >>

> >>http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2180673/red-hat-releases-fedora
> >>

> >>"Red Hat has released its Fedora 17!"
> >>
> >>Is it Red Hat that sends announcements and claims to be releasing Fedora or
> >>is the inquirer getting it wrong?
> >
> >Red Hat does a press release on the newswire for each release, in
> >addition to the general release announcement and other activities that
> >we do.
> >
> >(I see that Karin just responded to this, and said just about what I
> >was goign to say.)
>
> But I think we all agree the linked article is really bad written
> and it would he useful to "help" those news sources to improve their
> reporting.

Something to keep in mind is that these online publications see a lot
more hits when they include "Red Hat" in the title, by virtue of Red
Hat's status as a publicly traded company.  So they have an incentive
to link Red Hat with the Fedora release in some way.  Unfortunately,
the headlines are often written in a way that misinforms the reader
because the community releases the product.

The reason I point this out is not to make excuses for the journalists
or publications, but to explain why we continue to see the same thing
over several years even after repeated corrections.  As always, we can
correct gently and in a friendly, cordial manner.