[Call to Arms] Fedora 19 Test Days starts this week

shaiton at fedoraproject.org shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 25 09:49:37 UTC 2013

Le mercredi 20 mars 2013 à 19:14:17 (-0600), Bryan Sutherland a écrit :
> Martin,
> I am cc'ing this to the FWN and Website list as I think this is a great
> opportunity to get more community testing and input in.
>
> There is some discussion about a few more FWN releases as we get ready
> to open up fedoramagazine.org. The testing requests should be fine to go
> out in pretty quick order.

[snip]

Hi,

Actually we have all announces from the announce mailing list spread
through start.fedoraproject.org.
I agree, many users don't use this as a start page, or don't refresh this
frequently.

On an other side, the target visitors of the fedoraproject.org website is
more the incomers, they don't really know Fedora. If they do, they know
the exact page that they are looking for (get-prerelease or get.fpo for
example).
We have actually a "news bar" that is used only to highlight new Fedora
Releases. See [1] for an example. We could think of using it to highlight
Fedora test days. But should we display it just on D-day or also advertise
it a day before? What to do if we have 3 test days in 2 days? :)

I can see two targeted users for test days:
- Contributors involved in the actual test day or willing to help that
  specific test: They need to know when it is, but already know what is a
  test day. Using the new fedmsg is probably best. And if they use GNOME,
  the gnome-shell pluging is nice.
- Simple users that we need to get involved but we can't only use one
  medium to reach them.

Or we can simply link the stream from Fedora Magazine on our websites…

[1] http://paste.opensuse.org/8f05f019