release announcements, talking points, release notes, and how we group features into audiences or stories

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 14:16:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>>
>> Is bucketizing a bunch of stuff into "User, Sysadmin, Developer" the
>> best answer for marketing highlights of the release? It seems like...
>> well, a listing of car parts, but not really telling a story about the
>> car, for lack of a better metaphor.  And it seems a lot like "we made
>> a bunch of improvements here and there" isn't as compelling as "we
>> have improved overall state of ($experience, $usecase, etc) and here's
>> how."
>
> We have the big problem of Fedora generally perceived as 'not intended for
> "normal" users', imagine this, a "normal" user parsing fast the
> announcement, his reaction "Develop and Distribute, Start and Recover,
> Monitor and Manage - which of those is for *me*?"

Take a look at the feature list. I think I can classify the following
things as being for "normal" users:

* Improved mobile broadband support (incremental changes, but nice, I suppose)

Well, that's it. Anaconda improvements are incremental and not an
overhaul, mostly focused on enabling advanced/more complex options. We
have a handful of desktops with nothing earth-shaking enough in terms
of changes to highlight individually, other than in a section
dedicated to Spins/Desktops, where we've commonly detailed those
items.

There's obviously options around *explaining* in the course of the
announcement/talking points / etc that "fedora can be for everyone" -
but I think it's fairly difficult to say, "Hey! look at all the new
shiny things we have for $generaluser" when ... well, there aren't a
lot of shiny new things.

My intent was really around use cases and not identities - perhaps
those sections above could really be longer descriptions of a
story/use case - "Improved management and monitoring capabilities,"
"Efficient tooling to enable rapid boot time and system recovery,"
etc?

-r