RFC: Initial text for users' flyer

Mike Ruckman roshi at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 11 16:42:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 12:15:51 +1100
Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

> > That makes sense. I did some reading and it looks like AOO is a new
> > addition to F20. I concur; we need to determine what kinds of things
> > should go into a flier before we get too bogged down in the
> > details.
>
> +1. I did ask for comments here:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/ticket/139#comment:3

I'll start commenting on tickets :)

> >  - Users tired of Windows looking to switch
> >

> -1
>
> First, I don't understand what such marketing collateral will contain.
> Second, if it's going to compare Fedora/Linux to Windows, I add
> another -1.
>
> For instance, I don't see the point of writing "Libreoffice is an
> alternative for Microsoft Office" rather than "Libreoffice is a
> complete office suite with a word processor, calculator....". We're
> not an alternative to Windows, and I'm not in favour of putting out
> anything that makes people think, "Ah, an alternative to Windows..",
> in the tiniest way. We are a different operating system, in our own
> right. The users/developers flyers should be enough for this category?

I wasn't proposing to have a flier that said "Hey, switch from
Windows!" and handing it out at MSDN conferences or anything like that.
I was merely meaning we should have something with verbiage for users
of other OS's that are looking for something new. I picked Windows as
the example because it's the biggest share of home users in the market.
I've also worked in Windows shops before, and there's almost always
people looking to switch - it might be good to have something to suit
those people.

From what I can tell, for home users, the comparison (spoken or not)
will always be against Windows. It's not a matter of making the
comparison - we're already in it. [1] Now it's a question of framing the
issue the best way for Fedora from a marketing perspective. We don't
have to make a direct comparison in our literature, but we should keep
it in mind as we produce more. Especially if we're looking to increase
desktop adoption.

> > It might be a good idea to get some verbiage from the different SIGs
> > since they probably already have some of this groundwork done. If
> > they don't, then we can work with them to create something they can
> > use.
>
> I'm not sure about this. Like I've commented here[1], for example,
> most of the Change pages do not have release notes. I've grabbed this
> stuff from upstream websites that talk about the new versions.

Is this something the Docs team normally does, or a gap we could try to
get volunteers to fill?

> It might be worth talking to the SIGs. They're busy handling their
> packages and bug reports to make progress before the deadlines,
> though.

I just thought we could find out if they had any plans on this front -
or wanted help with it.

FWIW - I think this is some good discussion :)

[1] This is also us against OS X. Basically anything bigger than us in
the market-segment we're looking at.

// Roshi