a fedora.next marketing question

yn1v at taygon.com yn1v at taygon.com
Fri Feb 14 17:16:18 UTC 2014

El 2014-02-14 07:51, Joe Brockmeier escribió:
> On 02/12/2014 02:14 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> So, marketing team people: what do you think? Which is the right
>> general
>> approach? If we do the second thing, does it dilute our ability to
>> deliver
>> the Fedora Message? How can we overcome that? Other questions? Other
>> answers?
>
> I'm in the "low bar" camp, depending on the definition of "promote"
> here. For example, we currently "promote" spins on the Web site, and I
> don't think that should change. The alpha/beta/final announcements can
> and should include mentions of spins and other work in Fedora even if
> it's not it's one of the Three Products.
>
> But we might say it's up to folks doing "other" work to come up with
> screenshots/copy, etc. if we're going to put them on the site/include
> in
> release announcements, etc.
>
> In other words - they'll need to meet the marketing team part-way and
> get involved if they want help promoting their work, but we shouldn't
> be
> refusing to promote anything done in Fedora if the team doing the work
> is willing to take those steps.

I have to confess ignorance. It is the live media team going to be the
work station team? Or it is up to work station team to choose what
desktop to ship and maybe live media team has to change to gnome spin
team? Splitting  may impact in the number of people available for doing
things. Live media is what we give to people not knowing what "flavor"
to pick. It seem logical to me that now that "flavor" will be work
station.

I feel that there is the need to bring ambassadors up to speed in what
will be the new message. A lot of material is approved and done
regionally. Ambassadors do the leg work, and they need to know what is
this new thing. They need to know how to answer questions like: What is
this new "flavor"? Why did you changed the "last season" "flavor"?

So, ambassadors need to get involved and do their part-way to meet
marketing? Or it is marketing team need to do they part-way to meet
ambassadors?

I comment this because so long time ago, ambassadors "have to" be in
marketing list. Now, in the joining process for ambassadors is like
"look to those list to see if one catch your attention". Among a bunch
of lists it is marketing list. Most likely an ambassador work in other
things on the project, but those things may not be related to
fedora.next.

To sum up, how do we overcome gaps: production - marketing - sales (so
to speak).

Just thinking out loud. Not sure if this makes sense anyway.

Neville