slashdot effect

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Mon Sep 29 16:02:20 UTC 2014

On 09/29/2014 07:41 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> So, Slashdot ain't what it used to be*, but one link to my shellshock
> article at the bottom of a slashdot post covering multiple shellshock things
> (that is, not even featuring mine) and slashdot is now the top referrer of
> the last 30 days by a comfortable margin, and that puts it 5 for non-Fedora
> sources for all time.

Yeah, it's weird, but there's still an audience there. (I say "weird"
because these days Slashdot tends to be much slower than other tech news
sources. By the time something winds up on /. I've usually seen it
already via Twitter, Reddit, LWN, etc.)

> Conclusion: we should really try to get on slashdot more.

Might be good for a few people to take point on that. I've been trying
to make sure posts get to Twitter, and I think Ryan has been doing
Google+. (Probably too soon to worry about Ello...)

Reddit and Hacker News are also very good sources of traffic, if you can
get on the front page*.

* Reddit "front page" varies by subscriber/subreddit, of course. A
high-ranked post on /r/fedora won't drive as many folks as a post on
/r/linux, and that won't land as many readers as /r/technology.

Speaking of Reddit... we should have the FPL do an AMA soon, or around
one of the releases.

> * the joke is, of course, that it never was.

Kinda disagree here. In its heyday, Slashdot could send a pretty hefty
firehose of traffic if you made the front page. This was ~8+ years ago,
though, then Digg started to supplant Slashdot [1], and then Reddit and
other sites crushed Digg, etc.

[1] http://kottke.org/06/01/digg-vs-slashdot

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst