Help us rebrand rawhide

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Sat Aug 15 13:07:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 05:07:18PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> I don't know.. this seems like having Debian rename Sid to Lotso or
> Pete because it plays better with the kids these days :).

Maybe :)

> I believe the history for calling it rawhide was that Donnie Barnes
> (djb) and Mike Wangsmo (wanger) were cowboys and dealing with daily
> churned packages was like dealing with a cattle call. [Before we
> treated out servers like cattle, we did so to our packages.] Of course
> others put it that it was not about the Rollin' Rollin' song but the
> chewtoy.

Oh, I always assumed it was a hat reference.

> In the end, I think that the name should be direct and clear like it
> was another Edition. This will keep the fights over spacerocket,
> chewtoy, <cool reference people will not get in 10 years> to a minimum
> and not confuse our messaging with Editions. I am guessing names like:
>
> Now
> Current
> Rolling
> CurrentBuilds
> RollingRelease
> Cyberpophagist
>
> would be appropriate. [I kid on the last one...]

Makes sense, although I'm not sure about these specific examples.
"Fedora Now" sounds like a good name for the Fedora contributor blog
we've been talking about having in addition to the magazine. "Current"
is too confusing with the current released-release. And see other
messages for discussion on Rolling. But overall I see what you're
saying on a simple name.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>