Help us rebrand rawhide

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 16:24:21 UTC 2015

On 15 August 2015 at 07:07, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 05:07:18PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> I don't know.. this seems like having Debian rename Sid to Lotso or
>> Pete because it plays better with the kids these days :).
>
> Maybe :)
>
>> I believe the history for calling it rawhide was that Donnie Barnes
>> (djb) and Mike Wangsmo (wanger) were cowboys and dealing with daily
>> churned packages was like dealing with a cattle call. [Before we
>> treated out servers like cattle, we did so to our packages.] Of course
>> others put it that it was not about the Rollin' Rollin' song but the
>> chewtoy.
>
> Oh, I always assumed it was a hat reference.

No we actively never made hat references to make sure that we did not
dilute the trademark in any form. Any names had to be absolutely not
hat related for that reason. If bikeshedding had been known at that
time we would have called it that because it was basically wanger
calling it rawhide, donnie agreeing, a week of developers trying to
come up with any name but that and then sticking to rawhide.

>> In the end, I think that the name should be direct and clear like it
>> was another Edition. This will keep the fights over spacerocket,
>> chewtoy, <cool reference people will not get in 10 years> to a minimum
>> and not confuse our messaging with Editions. I am guessing names like:
>>
>> Now
>> Current
>> Rolling
>> CurrentBuilds
>> RollingRelease
>> Cyberpophagist
>>
>> would be appropriate. [I kid on the last one...]
>
> Makes sense, although I'm not sure about these specific examples.
> "Fedora Now" sounds like a good name for the Fedora contributor blog
> we've been talking about having in addition to the magazine. "Current"
> is too confusing with the current released-release. And see other
> messages for discussion on Rolling. But overall I see what you're
> saying on a simple name.

I disagree on the reasons for not using rolling but will reply in that email.

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader