User focussed material for F21

Joe Brockmeier jzb at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 15:56:57 UTC 2015

On 01/14/2015 07:12 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-01-12 at 18:24 -0500, Joe Brockmeier wrote:
>> Why is the email on the front of the flyer for marketing@ instead of
>> the
>> desktop@ mailing list?
>
> Good question. Well, mktg because we made the flyer, not the desktop
> because that list is more for development, I think? I could change this
> either to desktop or the users list, which is where troubleshooting
> questions go. What do you think? I could ask the workstation folks what
> they prefer too.

Might ask the workstation folks, yeah. Marketing is definitely wrong,
IMO, though - if I were a user and read the flyer, I'd think that I'd go
to marketing@ with questions about the desktop, and... yeah.

>> "That's probably why Fedora has been called the best of HiDPI" -- by
>> whom? Some sort of reference there would probably be good.
>
> The entire text is taken from the workstation release announcement -
> verbatim:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F21_release_announcement#Fedora_21_Workstation
>
> The discussion about it here suggested that Phoronix not be mentioned:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2014-September/010587.html

OK... but saying "we've been called the best of X" but then not citing
the authority for that statement sort of negates any benefit we'd get
from mentioning it.

> Well, this flyer isn't exactly for the novice user. It's targeted at the
> audience that the workstation folks picked, which is more devs. I can
> remove the line completely, it doesn't really contribute much IMHO.

OK - but I expect that novice users will wind up with the flyer
regardless of the target audience intended by the Workstation folks.

> Well, it's via gnome-software and epiphany - I haven't really been able
> to find an official documentation page for this, which is probably why
> there isn't a link anywhere that this is mentioned. I'll look harder. An
> explanation will require a lot more space. This seems to be the best
> description at the moment:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_(web_browser)#Web_Applications_mode
>
> Almost everything else that I find is a blog post someone has made.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I'll make some changes and post an updated
> version asap.

Thanks,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier | Principal Cloud & Storage Analyst