RFC: Marketing collateral plan

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 28 15:59:50 UTC 2015

On 07/28/2015 11:30 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Why not? Matthew already mentioned a few things. Why shouldn't advanced
> Fedora users that go to events be informed of what's new in a release?
> Even if they are advanced users, they don't necessarily keep up with
> the changes in each release the way we contributors do.

See my reply to Matthew.

If they want to know at the booth what the latest features are, why not
bring up the release notes on the booth laptop and show them, walk them
through? You could even offer to email them the link if they don't have
time to go through it there.

>> Folks who are already users / advanced users aren't going to use a
>> flyer
>> or any printed / PDF document as a primary source for information.
>> There
>> are much better ways to reach these folks.
>
> This has been noted already[1]
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ankursinha/Marketing_Collateral_Ide
> as

I see it noted in the chart. However, *print* materials are still
suggested rather prominently in the actual proposal for these users. I
disagree that this is necessary. The information (which I agree is of
value to those audiences) can be shared with them without the need for
printed materials.

There should probably be a 'general return on investment (effort/cost)'
column added there too to help with evaluation. That's the reason we did
release notes flyers before and don't do it anymore!

> The plan here is:
>
> - to request the design team for scribus templates (you'd suggested
> this yourself in the meeting where my original e-mail was discussed)

Where are the minutes from this?

I knew I'd been involved in a discussion about this already, and I am
disappointed that it seems a lot of the concerns and recommendations I
remember bringing up as representative of the Design Team don't seem to
be considered (as far as my memory goes, which I know may not be
accurate.) It would be helpful to see the minutes as a refresher. I
can't seem to find them on meetbot.

> - to request the various WGs for text that will go into the flyer

Ryan, Robyduck, and I went through this process with trying to get text
/ content from the WGs for the new Fedora website. It is a lot of work -
the different WGs have different meeting schedules and they are pretty
much all volunteer so not a lot of spare time. To do that every release
is going to be quite a challenge.

> - for the marketing team to put this together and make the flyer
> available.
>
> This spreads out the work load and I think it's quite manageable. I'm
> happy to run around and get the different WGs to provide text - I'm
> doing this already. The design team will not need to update the
> template each release either - it'll be a one off task.

It's not... illustrations and photos have to be sourced as appropriate
for each release's given feature set / announcements. Did you take a
look at the example I provided before? Even the non-release specific
photos showing community members have to be updated once in a while.

I'd really rather us point to a much more easily-managed web resource
for this kind of content, because the end product quality is much easier
to guarantee. We're (the design team) trying to up the bar on the
materials we produce and associate with the Fedora brand. I think
achieving that involves more design team input than us spitting out a
scribus template one-time and dusting off our hands.

~m