Fedora magazine in several languages?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 16:36:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 11:39:11PM +0100, Charles-Antoine Couret wrote:
> Le 19/11/2015 13:25, Charles-Antoine Couret a écrit :
> > Hello,
> > Thank you for your answers.
> >
> > I don't understand if your design allow French community (or other
> > community) to write our own articles without translate a English
> > content? This point is important for us, notably to write about local
> > events or other specific topics.
> > In this case, I think it's not a problem for us and we could
> > contribute in the future to localize (partially) English contents too.
> > :)
> >
> > Or maybe editorial policy doesn't allow us to do that.
> > Regards.
> > Charles-Antoine Couret
> >
> Hello,
> I'm sorry to repeat this question but, what is the editorial policy
> for international contents?
> A local community could translate only English articles or it could
> publish its own articles (with or without possibility to translate
> in English/other language)? This project is defined? Or have you
> other ideas?
>
> I think this question is very important to implement a good design
> between different versions of magazine. And many contributors should
> be impacted by this choice. I think each language edition should
> have independence concerning the possibility to translate contents
> or to create original articles without publishing in English before.

A significant factor is whether the community blog or site is
publishing under the community name, like fedora-fr.org for instance.
If it is, then I see no reason the site can't choose and publish its
own original content.  The site should not look exactly like the
Fedora Magazine in this case, though, because it would be confusing to
the viewer.  Having a different banner would be enough to
differentiate them, I think.  We're not trying to encourage multiple
versions of the Fedora Magazine that look exactly like one another.
In doing this, we might accidentally confuse readers as to which site
is run as part of the Fedora Project itself.

On the other hand, English is the lingua franca of the project, and
therefore the Magazine itself should stick to English posts for
original content.  Does this help answer the question at all?