[Magazine] Join Day Discussion

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 22:13:04 UTC 2015

Hey all,

This topic stems from an ongoing discussion in the Join SIG mailing list
[1] and our Magazine meeting tonight [2] about trying to organize "Join
Days" for the different teams in Fedora.

We thought that the Marketing team might be one of the best groups to
try putting together a Join Day, particularly with the Magazine. The
purpose of a Magazine Join Day would be to try to gain new contributors
to the Magazine efforts, not only as writers, but preferably as editors
too. On that note...

One of the main concerns that was mentioned in the meeting was
attracting more contributors who have trouble with English, where they
might have a quality idea, but it increases the work load on the editors
to clean and polish up articles to publication-worthy status. I think
Paul best summed up the ideal situation with this line:

     "We'd love to have a dozen writers and a dozen editors who can all
     pitch in on an article every month, as opposed to a few people
     doing them once or more a week."

With that in mind, if we do a Join Day, we will likely want to target
both people interested in being writers and/or editors.

I'm a little pinched for time so I wanted to get this out before I head
out for the next few hours, but hopefully Gabri or Ankur can fill in any
major holes I missed.

Thanks!

[1]
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-join/2015-October/000385.html