[Magazine] Join Day Discussion

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 03:49:05 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 09:54:26AM +0200, Gabriele Trombini wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 22/10/2015 alle 18.13 -0400, Justin W. Flory ha scritto:
> > Hey all,
>
> Hello Justin,
>
> [cut]
>

> > One of the main concerns that was mentioned in the meeting was
> > attracting more contributors who have trouble with English, where
> > they
> > might have a quality idea, but it increases the work load on the
> > editors
> > to clean and polish up articles to publication-worthy status. I think
> > Paul best summed up the ideal situation with this line:
> >

> [cut]
>
> Yes, that would be good; English native proofreaders is one of the
> solution, maybe the best. Is it the case to think about a category
> specifically for this role?
> Someone could have the desire to only work in the posts still to
> publish, without any other responsibility.

I'd also like to have people do or show something that demonstrates
they can do what's needed here.  It might be simple like having them
do first-line editing on an article.  Or looking at some writing they
have done themselves.  That way we know we are not creating a
situation where editors have to frequently rewrite material, and
writers know that the material they write will be honored
appropriately.