[Magazine] Article Edited and Ready for Final Review

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 21:04:23 UTC 2016

On 02/07/2016 03:54 PM, Sylvia Sánchez wrote:
> On Sunday, 7 February 16, Justin W. Flory <jflory7 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jflory7 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/07/2016 11:32 AM, charles profitt wrote:
>     > I just finished editing the Neville Cross article. I want to thank
>     both
>     > Neville and William Moreno for working on the article; excellent work
>     > gentlemen.
>     >
>     > Here is the link to the article for final review before publication.
>     > https://fedoramagazine.org/?p=11601&preview_id=11601
>
>     Overall, the article looks excellent to me as well. Thanks to all
>     involved in putting this article together! Thanks Neville, William, and
>     Charles. :)
>
>     I only have one lingering thought on this article -- in the last section
>     about Software, there are some pretty sharp words said about GNOME.
>     While I completely agree that constructive criticism is important and it
>     is a good thing to voice concerns, I don't feel like this Magazine
>     article is the best place to do it.
>
>     Instead of focusing on the negatives of GNOME, I would try to replace it
>     with some positive thoughts either on the desktop or another
>     environment. Using positive words over the negative will have a more
>     resounding impact on the reader and will also reflect well on Fedora.
>     Since there is such a large readership base for the Magazine, I could
>     imagine someone reading the last bit and thinking, "Oh, even Fedora
>     contributors don't even like Fedora!" Obviously this isn't true if you
>     read the rest of the article, but it can be easy for someone who is
>     skimming to take things out of context.
>
>     However, like I said, overall, I think this is a fantastic article and
>     is a great testament to the Fedora community. With a little bit of
>     rephrasing to the bottom portion, I think this article will be ready to
>     ship on Friday.
>
> I would leave that part as it is, isn't that harsh. And it's good to
see a different point of view.

> My thoughts.
> Cheers,
> Sylvia

I can understand having another point of view, but I'm not sure this is
the best place to do that -- I could see someone taking it out of
context in a negative way. In general, it's better to focus on the
positives than the negatives in a public-facing article like this.

In other words, let's highlight what Fedora contributors love about
Fedora over the parts that they don't like as much.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory
jflory7 at gmail.com