Social Media Strategy

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:04:31 UTC 2016

On 01/08/2016 11:45 AM, Remy DeCausemaker wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2016 12:29 AM, "Beau Mathieson" <personal at beaumathieson.org
> <mailto:personal at beaumathieson.org>> wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > I have noticed that our primary Facebook and Twitter accounts are
>  > gearing their content more toward a user who has technical knowledge or
>  > is already a user of Fedora. Content about systemd, python, elections,
>  > etc aren't going to draw in potential users of a non technical
>  > background or one who has never used any Linux operating system before.
>  > I believe it's best to keep that content to the magazine and use social
>  > media to draw potential users in. Maybe we should use social media to
>  > target the everyday user. By doing that we could gain a lot more users
>  > and potential contributors and maybe we could even gain more of a stake
>  > in the market. We have a chance to do something amazing!
>  >
>  > Kind regards,
>  > Beau Mathieson
>
> Beau,
>
> We have a newish tool: social-media at lists.fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:social-media at lists.fedoraproject.org> as an address where we can
> aggregate links and content that should be broadcasted across our
> channels. If you have content of the sort you are describing above, you
> can send a quick message to that list to get it on the collective
> radar. Please send there, and feel free to subscribe too and
> individually promote content if you'd like
>
> Welcome Welcome,
> --RemyD.
>
> P.S. - if you aren't there already, I would highly recommend joining
> #fedora-mktg and #fedora-commops on freenode, where you'll find many of
> the interested parties from this mail list are discussing this type of
> stuff in real time.

Remy mentioned a good resource with the social-media mailing list, as
well as both #fedora-mktg and #fedora-commops on Freenode IRC.

In addition to your comments about the strategy for social media, I also
feel like it could be taken advantage of in a bigger or better way.
Often times, it feels like all our social media channels do is promote
content from the Fedora Magazine. I think this role is a good one as
there is a lot of content on the Magazine that may interest the larger
Fedora community of both users, developers, contributors, and more. But
I think it could be more than just the Magazine.

The best example I can think of this was a month or two ago, when I
noticed that the Fedora Facebook page posted a random question, "What
email client do you use on Fedora?" It was a short and simple question,
but it was one of the most well-engaged posts I've seen in a while. As
of now, that post is sitting at 94 comments.

     https://www.facebook.com/TheFedoraProject/posts/10153753968090480

I think it would be a good idea to post more things like this to our
social media channels too. I think it might give a little bit more of a
connection between Fedora and users when they can interact in ways like
this - the result of this possibly being a stronger loyalty of users to
Fedora.

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory