Rewinding the discussion on MinGW+Wine

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 09:07:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:57:57AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 07/28/2009 10:30 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 08:37:39PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>>> cat>  configure.ac<<  \EOF
>>> AC_INIT
>>> AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0(2.0.0)
>>> AC_OUTPUT(Makefile)
>>> EOF
>>
>> Just use PKG_CHECK_MODULES instead, as in the attached example.  It
>> works fine.
>
> Richard, you miss the real problem, which is legacy.  We can patch every
> AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0 to PKG_CHECK_MODULES for everything we package.  We
> cannot expect users to know this.
>
> Besides, AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0 will detect mismatched header files vs.
> installed libraries, while PKG_CHECK_MODULES, so your solution is not
> 100% equivalent.

So far, in us packaging about 100 packages (many dependent on glib),
this has not proved a problem.

There's no issue with mismatching headers and libraries because
everything is installed via RPM.

>> Now please answer my question:
>>
>>        Which package are you trying to build?
>
> Pick any one in this list:
>
> http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0
> http://www.google.com/codesearch?q=AM_PATH_GTK_2_0
>
> I could say xchat from latest CVS.  (I did try to build it before
> writing this, and it failed).

So xchat, specifically, is the package that you tried to make?

I will have a look at it later, but I'm quite busy on real work today.

Rich.