gtk dll name issue

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 20 00:22:56 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> I've built a program using the mingw32-gtk packages. If I attempt to run
> the resulting binary under Windows, it is looking for the specific
> naming of the DLLs used in the Fedora packages. The GTK installer from
> http://www.gtk.org does not use a "libname-#.dll" schema, just a
> "libname.dll" schema. This means I'd have to ship the Fedora DLLs to
> have a working program or create a custom GTK installer.

What are the exact DLL names the installer you used installed?

I'm most familiar with the gladewin32.sourceforge.net installers. They also
include libglade unlike most other GTK+ runtime environment installers.
<RANT>It doesn't really make sense to ship a GTK+ runtime environment
without libglade nowadays as libglade is the recommended way to handle UIs.
Why are people still doing that?</RANT> Their DLLs (excluding modules which
are dynamically loaded at runtime) are named like this:
bzip2.dll
charset.dll
iconv.dll
intl.dll
jpeg62.dll
libart_lgpl_2-2.dll
libatk-1.0-0.dll
libcairo-2.dll
libcroco-0.6-3.dll
libfontconfig-1.dll
libfreetype-6.dll
libgdkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll
libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll
libglade-2.0-0.dll
libglib-2.0-0.dll
libgmodule-2.0-0.dll
libgobject-2.0-0.dll
libgsf-1-114.dll
libgsf-win32-1-114.dll
libgthread-2.0-0.dll
libgtkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll
libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll
libpango-1.0-0.dll
libpangocairo-1.0-0.dll
libpangoft2-1.0-0.dll
libpangowin32-1.0-0.dll
libpng12.dll
libpopt-0.dll
librsvg-2-2.dll
libtiff3.dll
libxml2.dll
xmlparse.dll
xmltok.dll
zlib1.dll

Most other GTK+ installers I've seen are compatible with the gladewin32 one
and so should be using the same library names. Even the kdewin project
matches the names for the shared DLLs (bzip2.dll, iconv.dll, intl.dll,
jpeg62.dll, libpng12.dll, libtiff3.dll, libxml2.dll and zlib1.dll). (That
said, they ship both iconv.dll and libiconv-2.dll as copies of the same
library and they only ship libcharset-1.dll, no charset.dll. But most stuff
probably doesn't link directly against libcharset anyway, and if stuff
starts doing that I'm sure they'll agree on a common name, worst case by
shipping both as for iconv.dll.) We should really ensure that we match
those agreed names. (I haven't checked this.)

        Kevin Kofler