gtk2 and libxml2 need updates

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon May 4 15:25:36 UTC 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: gtk2 and libxml2 need updates
From: Erik van Pienbroek <erik at vanpienbroek.nl>
To: Fedora MinGW (Windows cross-compiler) project
<fedora-mingw at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Date: 05/04/2009 10:12 AM

> Well, to get past the freeze override one needs to convince at least two
> members of the rel-eng team that the new packages needs to be allowed.
> As I don't know of any fatal bugs in the gtk 2.15.5 package I don't
> see any reason to request a freeze override. The new gtk package will
> probably be pushed as an update shortly after the release of F11 anyway.

I understand the package freeze but here's my rationale:

1) MinGW support is an official feature *starting* with Fedora 11. This
means that new users will not have any mingw32 packages to start with
and when they go to start to use it they will have out of date and out
of sync packages. Not everyone has internet access readily available.
2) MinGW packages should ideally match the version level in Fedora.
3) Requiring an update from the get-go for this package is frivolous.

If you do not wish to create a rel-eng request ticket, I would like to.
This is just a harmless/preventative package request. Same goes for libxml2.

>> OK thanks.
>
> It's already built by now:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=100789

Thank you.