libz.dll.a missing gzdirect?

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Fri Oct 1 17:30:12 UTC 2010

Op vrijdag 01-10-2010 om 09:36 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef John
Stebbins:
> Is this a known issue? Anyone else seen it?
> libz.dll.a from mingw32-zlib-static-1.2.3-19.fc12.noarch seems to be missing gzdirect.
> But libz.a from mingw32-zlib-1.2.3-19.fc12.noarch has it.
>
> Building libxml2 fails due to this when building xmllint.exe.

Hi John,

This looks like a known issue.

The .dll.a file is an import library which only contains a list of
symbols which are exported in the .DLL. The regular .a file is a static
library which doesn't care about exported symbols (iow: all symbols are
exported).

There are some bugs in zlib 1.2.3 which prevent some symbols from being
exported in the dll/dll.a files. One of the affected libraries of this
bug is the latest glib, see [1] for details. To fix this, I've updated
zlib to 1.2.5 in Fedora 14 and rawhide. I might update the zlib package
in Fedora 13 as well if there's a demand for it, but I don't have any
plans to update the Fedora 12 package as that release is reaching
end-of-life.

You can try to manually install the Fedora 14 package of mingw32-zlib
(which can be found at [2]) and see if the libxml2 build succeeds with
it.

Speaking of which, why are you building libxml2? We've already got a
mingw32-libxml2 package in Fedora which works fine. If you want to help
with maintaining the package, feel free to apply for it in pkgdb.

Regards,

Erik van Pienbroek

1.
http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/commit/?id=db0eaa299c66d82552645fa42f20d13a791bc53c