[Fedora-music-list] Re: Mixer Wowes

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sun May 17 20:12:10 UTC 2009

William M. Quarles wrote:
<snip>
> I uninstalled Pulseaudio, and while alsamixer -c0 still picks up on my
> AWE card, none of the GUI utilities do. I do not have integrated audio
> on my computer, so that is not the issue here. I am suspecting that
> there is a bug that is not allowing this card to work because it is an
> ISA card (actually, I think it's an EISA), and something broke somewhere
> in the sound software that is keeping me from running the card. I
> haven't installed Jack as Alsa by itself should be sufficient for what I
> am trying to do, which is to integrate this computer into my home
> entertainment system.
>
> In addition, I can't fully boot about 75% of the time now, because X
> freezes when it is about to load, and my keyboard then becomes
> unresponsive. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and reinstall
> everything, which I hate doing, but considering how buggy this thing is
> acting, I don't know what other choice I have.

I managed to get the computer to load X (only after first starting up
Windows XP's boot menu and CTRL+ALT+DEL my way back to Grub), so what's
going on there I am still unsure of. I might have figured out the issue
with the Sound Blaster AWE 64 Value card: only root has access it's
controls. I really have no clue how that happened.

Anyone on either list know how to fix that issue?

Thanks,
William