[Fedora-music-list] Re: Mixer Wowes

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sun May 17 13:06:10 UTC 2009

David Timms wrote:
<snip>
> All I'm saying is that hitting reply to any other message sent to
> fedora*-lists generates a message of the kind:
> to: fedora*-list, and therefore all lists members will see the
> follow a thread.
<snip>

Gmane should be able to retain threads. I CCed you on a message to get
your personal attention, which is probably why you received an e-mail
without the headers organized in a way that left the list out of the
message, but the list got the message, too, you just got two copies of
it, one coming from the Gmane server (by way of Fedora Mailman) and the
other coming from my SMTP server on my ISP. My last message got sent
twice because I forgot to include Planet CCRMA on the first try
(acutally, I accidentally sent the first copy without the Planet's Gmane
group fully typed out, which is why I sent it twice). I will try not to
make these mistakes in the future, but really, Gmane works as far as
preserving the threads, I just have to be certain not to screw around
with putting mail headers in my newsgroup messages, as it results in
people getting messages without the list as part of the headers. Lesson
learned.

Really, all of this is off topic, could we please get back to getting my
sound card working?

I uninstalled Pulseaudio, and while alsamixer -c0 still picks up on my
AWE card, none of the GUI utilities do. I do not have integrated audio
on my computer, so that is not the issue here. I am suspecting that
there is a bug that is not allowing this card to work because it is an
ISA card (actually, I think it's an EISA), and something broke somewhere
in the sound software that is keeping me from running the card. I
haven't installed Jack as Alsa by itself should be sufficient for what I
am trying to do, which is to integrate this computer into my home
entertainment system.

In addition, I can't fully boot about 75% of the time now, because X
freezes when it is about to load, and my keyboard then becomes
unresponsive. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and reinstall
everything, which I hate doing, but considering how buggy this thing is
acting, I don't know what other choice I have.

Peace,
William