[Fedora-music-list] music spin development. I am ready to test/help with the audio spin.

Christopher Antila crantila at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 22:40:22 UTC 2010

It's good to see more people getting involved!

We have lots of (relatively!) easy ideas, like including recent versions
of software.  Why don't we start on the difficult stuff by deciding on a
target audience?  This will help us to determine whether we want to
bother with a real-time-enabled kernel, exactly what software to
include, and other things.

Here's my proposed target audience, derived mostly from the FP User base
page[1], and the other pages in the "About Fedora" series:

Typical User:
A home user who wants to accomplish all sorts of everyday tasks with one
distribution, including high-quality audio creation tasks, home office
tasks, and communications tasks like IM, IRC, and email.  This person
knows enough that, if given instructions, they would be able to make all
of the modifications and installations for themselves - but now they
don't have to.  The user is already reasonably experienced with using
most of the software included with the Audio Creation version of Fedora.

There are two important things here to consider: the user is not a
novice computer-user, because this doesn't follow Fedora's goals; the
user is making a conscious choice to go with an Audio Creation version,
rather than the mainstream version, so it should be considerably
different from the mainstream version.  It shouldn't be the kind of
thing that could be done just as well by spending an hour with
PackageKit - it should be significantly different, and sufficient
without further modification for all audio creation purposes.

This is my opinion.  I hope somebody disagrees, so we can evaluate
different options!

Christopher.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_base