[Fedora-music-list] Default Desktop Environment

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sun Feb 12 12:04:44 UTC 2012

Brendan,

On 2012-02-12 02:15, Brendan Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking about what kind desktop environment would best
> suit the needs of audio users.
>
> Since the Gnome 3 release I've kind of abandoned GNOME as it doesn't
> really quite gel with my workflow. Since then I've been hovering over
> KDE/XFCE, but the latest mongrel openbox (mixture of xfce4/qt-razor)
> setup I'm using now seems to be winning.

More details?  I have been pretty happy with XFCE but this sounds
interesting.

> The qt razor project seems really exciting [1] - I've found the
> components to be really quite mature but alas a little sparse. Razor
> is not in the repos yet but there is talk of including it and it is
> under heavy development [2]. I'm wondering if razor could be used as
> the default desktop for an audio spin? If the desktop team ever
> decide
> to endorse a Razor spin we could leverage off their efforts as well.
>
> Jus thinking aloud - let me know what you think

My background is in science and technology but I am spending increasing
amounts of time on music and singing so I find it is a steep learning
curve with all the sound related software (I ditched PulseAudio and
settled on plain Alsa).  A new, lightweight spin focusing specifically
on audio would be very interesting for me.

Regards,

Phil.