Fedora Weekly News

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 19:16:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 12:06 -0700, Thomas Chung wrote:
> On 4/10/07, Ryan Leduc <leduc at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > what happened to the  Fedora Weekly News?  It use to have interesting
> > info about fedora core for a wide audience, and now it seems to have
> > nothing but
> > info for developers  and I see no reason why I should not start ignoring
> > it.
> >

> > Is this your intention?  The previous format was very useful and
> > provided a lot of info for users.  Why get rid of it?  It seems that you
> > could have just created a separate newspaper for developers, or at least
> > keep both type of news in different sections?

When I was reading it this week after it hit f-announce-l, I realized
that the addition of so much broad and useful content had buried the
stories that would have been highlighted in the previous incarnations of
FWN.

So, I'm very happy that we are reaching a broader audience, and it was
unintentional to dismiss the existing audience.

Thomas - for the coming week, I think we can look at something like a
Summary section that mirrors the old-FWN style.  It would highlight
stories that appear in more detail in other locations in the report.
From there, people can read the individual sections by their interests
(art, documentation, development, etc.)

We might also want to review the idea of having all of the content
appear in the announcement.  It is useful, but also possibly confusing,
without a table of contents to sort out what is where.

Let's try to get some ideas prototyped by the end of the week so we know
what to edit/format for over the weekend.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project