[Fedora-packaging] Early MinGW packaging guidelines draft

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jul 8 16:20:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 16:58 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/MinGW
>
> Comments welcome.  It's at a rather early stage at the moment.
>
> There are some packages already if you'd like to take a look at them:
>
>   http://hg.et.redhat.com/misc/fedora-mingw--devel

Just one remark based on hastly browsing your draft (I haven't read the
details yet):

The name mingw32 is related to 2 items:
- It's the historic name mingw had inherited from its past. Technically
it is required to make config.sub working when being fed with
mingw-related target triplets.

[try /usr/share/automake-1.10/config.sub i686-mingw rsp. i686-mingw32]

- There seem to be efforts related to implementing a 64bit mingw,
addressing 64bit Windows. (I don't know if they made progress, I only
saw patches related to an x86_64/64bit mingw being submitted to
different toolchain mailing-lists)

> I have some misgivings (actually a lot of misgivings) about the use of
> the /usr/i686-pc-mingw32 directory.  See Ralf's reply to my email here
> for some justification:
>
>   http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2008-07/msg00105.html
FWIW: Any cross-toolchain uses a similar directory.

Ralf