[Fedora-packaging] fedora-usermgmt

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Dec 20 09:38:24 UTC 2011

On 12/20/2011 07:51 AM, Simone Caronni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Bacula package already has a registered user group of 33 in:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageUserRegistry
>
> so I will keep on using that; no change. The spec file always
> contained that uid/gid in the build.
> What I will change is just the way it is created, and the link Tom
> sent is exactly the one I was looking at.

The link Tom sent provides a way to create and uid/gid for a given
user/group name, not for a specific uid/gid (i.e. you'll end up with a
"bacula" user and group but the uid/gid may be different on each
system). However, bacula does not need the uid/gid to be the same on
multiple systems so that doesn't matter.

> I found fedora-usermgmt already in place in the spec file so I thought
> it was right to ask.

I never understood why bacula used that in the first place.

Paul.