[Fedora-packaging] pre-compiled binaries in SRPM/source tarball

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Mar 9 20:47:49 UTC 2011

On 03/09/2011 02:44 PM, jan.klepek wrote:

> I have question, when I got tarball from upstream or I'm creating
> tarball by myself from their git repo, which contains binary (exe) file.
> Is there any packaging guideline that forces me to exclude this binary
> file before tarball is created/used in srpm?
>
> Christopher Aillon is trying to convince that below guideline has to be
> applied to source tarball also.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#No_inclusion_of_pre-built_binaries_or_libraries
>
> However I don't see any reference to SRPM/source tarball and I was in
> impression that this is only for final (builded) rpm as otherwise it
> would break review guidelines (rule for comparing source tarball in SRPM
> and tarball from upstream).

It just says this:

When you encounter prebuilt binaries in a package you MUST:
   * Remove all pre-built program binaries and program libraries in
%prep prior to the building of the package. Examples include, but are
not limited to, *.class, *.dll, *.DS_Store, *.exe, *.jar, *.o, *.pyc,
*.pyo, *.egg, *.so files.
   * Ask upstream to remove the binaries in their next release.

so nuking the stuff in %prep is ok.

remaking a tarball is generally only required if it includes items that
aren't redistributable.

-- Rex