[Fedora-packaging] Removing files with RPM's build using python distutils

Raoul Thill raoul.thill at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 15:15:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am currently experimenting with packaging python projects using the
distutils library.
The packaging itself works fine, but I am having problems removing
outdated/removed files when incrementing the RPM release counter or the
version number. I thought that would be the RPM way :(

Could someone explain me how to remove files using an rpm package in
general, as I don't find anything related on the fedora packaging wiki
pages?

Example project structure:

project-root
-package1
--file1
-package2
--file1
--file2

Now packaging the project-root with both python packages works fine.
When removing the file2 from package2, the file is no longer in the new
resulting rpm with release=2 (0.1.1-2) or newer version (0.1.2-1), but
updating the package on the destination server using yum update, does
not remove the file. I suppose that I need to include a macro to remove
files on the destination server....

As my current projects are all hosted on GIT repos, would there be an
easier way to fulfill that task?

Many thanks for some help on that point.

Kind regards,
Raoul